Kids-health is a site packed with hints and tips to keep you and the family healthy.
Food on a Budget
Everyone is feeling a squeeze on the family finances. It seems the cost of absolutely everything has shot through the roof and it is becoming more and more difficult to make family meals for just a few pounds. The cheapest meals can be made with market vegetables and pulses, but mums can generally tell what the kid’s reaction to lentil curry or three bean soup will be! Much better that we publish a collection of meals that are not faffy and that the kids are bound to love so here is our top ten collection of healthy, family meals on a budget:
- Bangers, mash and sweet petit pois.
- Spaghetti bolognaise and baby carrots or frozen fine green beans.
- Fish fingers, oven chips and peas or sweetcorn.
- Chicken fajitas made with a Discovery fajita kit a little chicken, peppers and onions and sprinkled with grated cheese.
- Bacon, eggs, baked beans and toast (yeahhh have them for tea – why not!)
- Fancy frittata easy and cheap to make with eggs and left overs from the fridge.
- Jacket potatoes served with tuna mayonnaise or low fat cheese and grilled tomatoes.
- Mild chilli con carne and rice.
- Macaroni cheese with ham and cauliflower or broccoli florets
- And the best ever – Home made beef burgers, (500g lean minced beef mixed with salt, pepper and finely chopped onion and formed into patties – fry over medium heat for 8 minutes each side), soft bread rolls and sweet and crunchy salad. In our house we call this the McMummy’s tea!
All meals have been frequently tried and tested in the Kids-Health household! The kids love them and because they are cheap, quick and easy – so do I!