Kids-health is a site packed with hints and tips to keep you and the family healthy.
Healthy Barbeque Time!
It’s fabulous when the summer re-appears and you can dust off the barbeque and invite the neighbours and family round. The children love it too. In fact it can become a great excuse to eat all the bangers and burgers they can manage! Well if that’s the case amongst your brood, you can take steps to ensure that the meat is healthy and lower in calories than your average barbeque. Here’s how:
- Look for lean red meats, like top sirloin (if you can afford it!)
- Cuts of fish are an excellent low-fat alternative to traditional barbeque meats.
- Select pork tenderloin for a leaner pork option.
- Look for hamburgers or sausages that say “reduced fat” on the package.
- Trim all visible fat off meats before marinating and barbecuing.
- Control portion sizes by cutting all meats into 100gram pieces.
- You can cut fat in half by grilling chicken breast or thigh without the skin. Marinate your chicken without the skin for about two hours.
- When cooking chicken check the thickest part to make sure it is cooked all the way through.
- Kebabs are a great way to mix meat and vegetables and reduce portion size.